Thursday, October 1, 2009

Techno-phobe or Misoneist or Both

This morning I tried to decide if I really am a techno-phobe, and the answer is yes. Technology terrifies me. But it goes beyond that.

I am also a misoneist. (For those of you who have never come across this word before, it's pronounced miss-uh-NEE-ist.) A misoneist is a person who hates change or innovation.

One of my big confusions with technological innovations is that I don't know what's new and what's old-but-still-in-use.

For Example: Yesterday I was typing and my cursor froze. My standard solution to any computer problem is to unplug everything, wait five minutes, plug everything back in and hope the problem has corrected itself. It didn't.
So I called Natasha, my granddaughter and computer coach. I told her what had happened and what I had done.
She said, "Is the mouse still plugged in?"
I said, "The mouse doesn't plug in. It's one of those remote things."
She said, "Is the (I can't remember what she called it) still plugged into the (whatever) port?"
I checked and it was still firmly in place.
She said, "Did you check the mouse's battery?"
And I said, "Uh, what battery?"

Back in my day, I knew that anything electrical that was not plugged into a wall socket had to be running on a battery. But computer stuff is so different, how was I suppose to know the mouse used anything as commonplace as a battery? For all I knew it was powered by a genie, two wizards, and a witch all working together.

According to Edwin Percy Whipple, "The universal line of distinction between the strong and the weak is that one persists; the other hesitates, falters, trifles, and at last collapses or caves in."

Well, Edwin, I'm not going to cave in. That means I'm going to persist until I'm able to use today's technology unafraid. (If I don't chicken-out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment